CD: $14.99 /
Digital Album: $9.99
Cynthia Sayer's widely acclaimed album, ATTRACTIONS, features legendary guitarist Bucky Pizzarelli along with her ensemble of renowned NYC musicians. Her distinctive playing, vocals and arrangements propel an exuberant program of swinging classic jazz, tango, originals, and more.
- Viper Mad (Sidney Bechet)
- Half As Much (Hank Williams)
- Banjo Tango (Cynthia Sayer)
- Shakin’ The Blues Away (Irving Berlin)
- Over The Rainbow (Harburg & Arlen)
- El Choclo (A.G. Villoldo)
- The Gift (Cynthia Sayer)
- Romance Without Finance (Tiny Grimes)
- Dark Eyes (traditional)
- You Are My Sunshine (Davis & Mitchell)
- Swing De Paris (Django Reinhardt)
- Aba Daba Honeymoon (Fields & Donovan)
- Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 (Franz Liszt)
To hear track samples, click here
- Cynthia Sayer – banjo, vocals, arrangements
- Bucky Pizzarelli – guitar
- Scott Robinson – soprano, tenor, baritone saxophones, & clarinet
- Randy Sandke – trumpet
- Jim Fryer – trombone
- Sara Caswell – violin
- Greg Cohen – string bass
- Joe Ascione – percussion
- Susan Sayer Taylor - harp
- "She can pick with the confidence of a bluegrass veteran or chomp as cleanly as Freddie Green.”
—JAZZTIMES—BEST OF 2007 ISSUE
- "Notable women in jazz have stood out as singers and sometimes as pianists. Cynthia Sayer has made her mark in the jazz world in an almost unheard of way, on banjo."
—INTERNATIONAL MUSICIAN JOURNAL
- "She takes us into places where you'd never expect the banjo to be admitted, and makes herself completely at home,"
- “Versatile banjo stylings as well as a terrific no-nonsense vocal style… Her arrangements are just right, and her sense of showmanship and good humor makes the whole a fresh and exciting experience… She’s expanding the whole concept of the banjo in her own way, much as Bela Fleck has also done in his way.
- "The results are mind blowing…. A totally tasty, head turning, ear opening set that practically defines a genre on its own; this jazzy, snazzy date will turn you into a fan in no time."
- “A highly rewarding display of her sensitive playing and her musical intelligence. She is also an earnest singer, someone who changes her approach according to her material, and the material is happily varied ... Each track offers surprises.”
- "She can get around her banjo quite well, often soloing in a style akin to electric guitar…Sayer is a more than competent singer, clever arranger and astute talent scout, making her album noteworthy.”
—ALL ABOUT JAZZ NEW YORK
- "Sayer’s playing is far more expansive than the original performers on this instrument."
—ALL MUSIC GUIDE
- "Sayer hits one out of the park on this delightful disc. The banjo queen… lights up the studio with her crackling string inventions and breezy jazz vocals… [and] displays her regal chops."
—THE HARTFORD COURANT
- “New and fresh sounds…. with every track full of surprises. In this business, every now and again you turn a corner and come across delights that keep your faith in the music burning. Thank you, Cynthia.”
—JUST JAZZ (UK)
- "Cynthia Sayer takes her banjo playing seriously – and so does the regular jazz world."